Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Procrastination vs. Preparation: Lesson in Investing

So here I am…..on my next blog. It has been about 7 or 8 days since my last post. So now I guess you want to know “What’s the deal?”, right? Have I been procrastinating? Well, not exactly. While I have not posted in quite a few days I have been productive. As the title infers… procrastination versus preparation. Preparing is exactly what I’ve been doing. “What does that have to do with investing?” I’m glad you asked….let me explain.
They say the first time you do something is always the hardest part. That’s why I went ahead and posted my first blog, I wanted to jump that hurdle. After I posted it, my first thought was “now what?”. So I did what I always do, go looking for answers. I could have just sat there and hoped someone would read it, but that would be procrastination. Instead, I became proactive about my preparation. I started looking for answers about blog traffic, monetization of blogs, and blog marketing. During my search I ran across a millionaire blogger named Yaro Starak. This is a very interesting guy. I love his blog…if you want to seriously invest in a blog yourself(click here), I highly recommend reading and subscribing to his blog. I spent 4 days going over tips and tricks trying to cram….then I realized it wouldn’t happen so fast. So I digested what I could and started working on some social networks to build up a friend base and hopefully attract some readers. That took up the rest of the time.
So now it seems I had no time for the investing part huh? You could be wrong or right depending on your definition of investing. If investing to you is all about money , then no. I didn’t spend any money on new things. I didn’t play the stock market or open a new business. So what did I invest in? Knowledge. That is something that can never be taken away from me. It could make me millions and if I lose it all, that knowledge could bring it all back. So even though it hasn’t made me any money yet, I sincerely think it was a sound investment. I know it’s a much better investment than just sitting around.
Now it’s time to implement some of the knowledge I’ve learned. I’m going to post a lot of blogs. I’m also going to implement some monetization techniques. I will also share the techniques I use with you so that you can know about them. I will also try to provide links to where I get my research from so you can obtain the details and decide for yourself.
Even though I’ve had a hiatus from my blog I believe it will help the long term quality of my content. I will hopefully convey my ideas in a more efficient manner as a result. The next blog I will post will be about some things I did with my weekend that I took the time to learn something from. Then I will post another one about the concept of 90/10.
The moral of the story is as follows: sometimes it’s good to take a break from a venture if it will allow a more focused and efficient effort for the long term. Some people are so short-sighted the fail to prepare for the future and when it comes, it’s too late. Always take the time to improve, it may save your home based business. In the mean time you can contact me on myspace, face book, or blackplanet. Be sure and check the Ninety Ten Store for some books on financial literacy and inspiration. The question is: Do you prepare or do you procrastinate? Think about it. Until next time, live well and become rich!

No comments: